Taking the House by Storm

The trials and tribulations of the average gal trying to navigate through life, love and the pursuit of domestic bliss.

Sunday, January 14, 2007

Old Habits Die Hard


One of my favorite ‘cleaning’ pastimes is to put everything laying around junking up the place on a made bed, organize it into piles and then put where it belongs. In theory, this seems like a good idea. The problem is, it never happens.

Usually, I get the inspiration sometime before noon, figuring that I have plenty of time to take care of business. Generally what happens is, come midnight/1 a.m. when my husband and I are dragging ass to bed, we walk in and say, ‘Oh, crap!’ because I forgot I did it and he had no idea in the first place.

Within 30 seconds, it all winds up back on the floor in a heap, all the painstaking organizing and pile making undone. That’s where we’re headed tonight because, as usual, I strayed wildly off track.

Despite my complete and total lack of success with this process, I continue to try it. I’ve been doing it for as long as I’ve been a clutterbug, which has pretty much been since exiting the womb.

Back before I was married, I used to just move stuff over enough so I could sleep. It was really pretty amazing what a small area I could confine myself to, for weeks at a time. Now that I’m married, I’m forced to throw it all back on the floor. But I do have a whole entire spare bed I can cover and hope no one wants to spend the night.

One thing I can say is that I come by it honestly: I inherited this little trick from my mom. I remember way back when I lived in Atlanta and I brought my boyfriend at the time over to my parents’ new house. I was showing him around when we got to their guest bedroom where the bed was completely covered. The ex in question even went so far as to say, ‘Now I know where you get it from.’

In retrospect, I don’t remember my mom having much luck with this particular M.O. either, but I guess old habits die hard for her, too.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I follow this same technique when sorting laundry. Everything gets piled on the bed in separate piles. But then I just leave it there... until it gets to be bedtime and we pile it back up in the laundry basket. Ugh, it's frustrating!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home