Taking the House by Storm

The trials and tribulations of the average gal trying to navigate through life, love and the pursuit of domestic bliss.

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Tie One On


I wouldn’t say I collect aprons, but I did manage to accumulate a few over the years. I got my first one probably about 9 years ago from my sister, Sharon, when I lived in Atlanta. Not sure what possessed her to get me one – I almost think it must have been the purchase of my beloved KitchenAid. And it was also around the same time my family realized my friends and coworkers called me “Meaux.”

Believe it or not, I really never had a nickname growing up outside of ‘jerk,’ ‘moron’ and stuff like that.

Suffice it to say, Sharon not only got me my first apron, but my first personalized apron with the traditional spelling of “Mo.” Since then, she’s given me a black striped one and my other sister, Kathy, gave me a Mickey Mouse version. Rick and I got a green one from Williams-Sonoma just for registering for our wedding there. Then we got a pink one off the afore mentioned registry and somewhere along the way, I picked up an adorable Halloween half-apron and a full-length Santa apron.

My latest apron was purchased from my sister-in-law’s online shop, onelittlemonkey.com. You should check it out – she makes the most adorable baby items and kids clothes, like burp cloths, changing mats, tote bags, outfits and most recently, these cool aprons. Which she is also happy to make in adult sizes.

Though I’ve had it for several months, I’ve never actually worn this apron because I’m afraid to get anything on it, even though that’s the point. When you get right down to it, it’s rare for me to put any apron on simply because it never crosses my mind, even tho they hang in plain view right there in the kitchen.

I want to wear them, truly I do. That’s why I got them. When you’re a person who takes the house by storm, you’re pretty much the Tasmanian Devil in the kitchen. It’s just impossible to splatter stuff all over the counters, in the open drawers, on the floor and occasionally on an unsuspecting cat without hitting yourself.

So I’m going to make a conscious effort to tie one on before I pull the first ingredient out of the cabinet. Afterall, that's what they're there for.

3 Comments:

  • At 9:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love all your aprons! I think they're so cute. I own only one Christmas apron that I never think to get out. Probably because I never bake. My M-I-L wears theses old lunch-lady aprons that tie at the sides and has two pockets on the front. She could use a new apron. Hmm... maybe I'll keep that in mind as a present idea for her.

     
  • At 3:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love spammy comments written by people who don't speak English as a native language.

    Have you seen the website http://reprodepot.com/index.html ? You could find some awesome fabrics to make cool aprons with, if you wanted. Just a thought.

     
  • At 9:03 PM, Blogger meauxjeaux said…

    Thanks for the great link, Susan. I'm going to share it with my s-i-l as well. I was telling Cara that back when I lived with my domestically adept roommate, Mary, i actually did make a few aprons for Mother's Day. As soon as I get my sewing machine fixed – and learn how to thread it – I'm going to try it again.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home