Taking the House by Storm

The trials and tribulations of the average gal trying to navigate through life, love and the pursuit of domestic bliss.

Sunday, August 05, 2007

Christmas Fiasco In July


Yeah, yeah. I know. It’s August. But what I’m about to share actually transpired in July, so there. It’s just taken me a while to a) find my digital camera to download the pix and b) find the time to put this down on ‘paper.’

In keeping with my Jean theme of the week, she gave us a ‘kit’ for making Chocolate Chip Banana Bread for Christmas. It included all the dry ingredients, a recipe and a pan to cook it in. All I had to do was add some eggs, mashed bananas, oil and milk.

Sounds simple enough, so what took me so long to make the bread? Somewhere between December and last week, I misplaced the directions. Shocker, I know. But what really amazes me is it took me that long to ask Jean for a refresher.

Suffice it to say, I got the directions and whipped up the bread. Jean mentioned that her batch created enough batter to make almost two loaves, so after I’d filled the provided pan to what I considered the appropriate level, I got out my own pan and poured in the rest of the batter. It really wasn’t enough to make another loaf.

At this point, a normal, thinking person would have just equalized the batter in two pans or cut their losses and thrown out the overage. My post-delivery pea brain decided to just put the extra batter back in the original pan. It fit, though it was filled to the brim.

What filled my nose next was the smell of burning batter as the pan completely overflowed. What a disaster – and what a stench! The oven and the bread looked like crap, but it still tasted good. Thanks for the recipe, Jean. Hopefully next year, I’ll get my Christmas shit together.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:00 PM, Blogger divaqueen said…

    I'm glad it all worked out & thanks for the pic! It really was a good recipe!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home