Taking the House by Storm

The trials and tribulations of the average gal trying to navigate through life, love and the pursuit of domestic bliss.

Thursday, August 02, 2007

Watermelon Fizzle


As I think I’ve mentioned before (or at least I’ve thought about mentioning it), I’m not a huge fan of Food Network’s show Semi-Homemade with Sandra Lee. Unlike some other viewers, I have nothing against Sandra Lee personally, I’m just not generally impressed with her recipes.

But every now and again, I’ll catch an episode and something will strike my fancy. For instance, a week or so ago, I was watching when she was putting on a Fairy Princess Party for one of her underage friends or relatives, I can’t be sure. Anyway, a featured recipe was the Watermelon Spritzy.

I like watermelon. It seemed like it would be tasty. I filed the recipe away for future consideration.

Fast forward to yesterday afternoon when I was shopping at Meijer with my sister, Sharon and her daughter, Kristen. They were in town for a week visiting with me, Rick and our little bambino.

As we tooled around the produce department, I saw something I’d never seen before: a personal watermelon. How cute and how cool was that? A mini replica of the refreshing fruit I love so much in a convenient single-serving size. It was a mere $2.50. I had to have it. Until I saw full-sized watermelons were the same price.

Suffice it to say, we brought home the big one. My sis and niece headed back home this afternoon and since Rick and I are incapable of eating that much watermelon before it goes bad, I thought I’d fire up the blender and give the old Watermelon Spritzy a try.

Since I didn’t think blending soda was a good idea, I just put the 2 cups of watermelon the recipe calls for into the blender. Apparently, I needed some liquid in there to get the process going. So I added a little Sprite, blended up the fruit and poured it into a glass along with some more, fresh Sprite.

Eh. It was okay. I had high hopes for this to be a fun little refreshing drink but it turned out to be mostly a bust. I’d have to say Rick was less than impressed as he’s headed up to bed and most of the drink remains in the glass. Granted, I forgot to add in the grenadine and I didn’t bother to strain out the pulp, but somehow, I don’t think it would have helped.

*Sigh*

If anyone else has a good idea of mixing up some watermelon, I’d love to give it a try.

1 Comments:

  • At 3:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    maybe try adding vodka? :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home