Taking the House by Storm

The trials and tribulations of the average gal trying to navigate through life, love and the pursuit of domestic bliss.

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Going Bananas


Last week, I had a bunch of bananas on the verge of slipping beyond usable into the trash stage. While I wasn't prepared to just throw them away, I couldn't bear the thought of making (and eating) yet another loaf of banana bread. Don't get me wrong, I like it, but with a small family, it's just too much to eat. I think I still have a couple of mini loaves in the freezer from last time my bananas got away from me.

So I Googled banana ice cream and found this recipe for Chunky Banana Nut Chip Ice Cream. As you can see from the title, it's chock-full of a lot of tasty treats: chocolate, nuts and bananas. It was pretty easy to make. The only thing I really did differently was to use about 3 cups of heavy cream and 1 cup of half and half instead of the full quart of cream. Mainly because I'm cheap and wanted to make another ice cream from allrecipes.com, Blueberry Cheesecake (fabulous – more on this coming soon) and didn't want to buy two quarts of expensive heavy cream.

Some reviewers complained it tasted too banana-y. Personally, I'm not sure how that's even possible. So if you don't really enjoy the taste of bananas, I wouldn't suggest you make this particular ice cream. But if you do, give it a whirl. You won't be disappointed. And a little chocolate sauce on top doesn't hurt it, either.

Note: This pic doesn't do it justice, but it's hard to photograph something so light, so close. And, I'm no food stylist...yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home