Taking the House by Storm

The trials and tribulations of the average gal trying to navigate through life, love and the pursuit of domestic bliss.

Thursday, April 09, 2009

Holy Clam Juice, Batman – That was Delicious!


So I've been avoiding a can of clams I've had in the basement for a while now. Only the good Lord knows why I picked it up in the first place, though I do vaguely remember enjoying some sort of spaghetti with clams my mom made growing up.

Tonight, I was trying to figure out what to make for dinner around 6 p.m. when I saw it and thought, What the heck? The only problem was, I had no idea what to do with it and my parents weren't on Skype. Without real long distance, I figured I'd go to my old standby, allrecipes.com, and found this recipe.

It was surprisingly fantastic. I say this because the inside of a can of clams isn't that appealing. The sound of it really isn't, either. Don't even get me started on smell. When I told my husband, Rick, what I was making he replied, "I don't think I like that." Well, turns out he was mistaken. He gobbled it right up, along with my 21-month-old. I couldn't believe it.

If you find yourself with a wayward can of clams and some pasta, give it a try. These are the adjustments I made: because i only used 1/2 a pound of spaghetti, i cut the oil down to 1/8 cup and used 2 TBSP butter, 4 cloves of garlic, 1 15 oz can of chopped clams and about half the juice, along with half of the spices.

Some other reviewers suggested adding white wine, which I may try next time. For sure, I'll fire up a piece of bread to sop up all the juicy goodness. Mmmmm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home