Taking the House by Storm

The trials and tribulations of the average gal trying to navigate through life, love and the pursuit of domestic bliss.

Monday, January 22, 2007

No Place Is Sacred


If there’s one thing you can say about me, I’m thorough. That’s why my problems staying organized – at least in the traditional sense – transcend the home front and make it all to way to the workplace.

In fairness to myself, a lot of my current desktop situation is due to the fact that I’m so busy, I haven’t had time to file. When you work through lunch, later in the evening and sometimes even at home, the last thing you want to do is hang around even longer for a non-necessity like that.

Basically, it doesn’t have a deadline – the driving force of the ad biz – so it gets pushed to the end of one of my myriad lists of things to do. Right behind doing my timesheets and filling out expense reports.

Believe you me, all this mess stresses me out and makes me feel bad about myself. It’s that whole fear of failure, fear of success thing (a recurring theme you may have noticed).

At the same time, though, all this clutter is a sort of badge of honor for me. I take pride in the fact that I can generally always find what I’m looking for in a fairly short period of time – both at home and at work. Sick, I know, but true.

While my goal is to eventually gain a sense of pride from living and working in an organized space, I know that Rome was not built in a day, nor will my new, neat Utopia be. So in the meantime, I embrace my messiness as a unique part of my identity. And I take solace in articles like this one from the New York Times: “Saying Yes to Mess.” Can I get an “Amen?”

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/21/garden/21mess.html?ex=1324357200&en=ce87bee90be66dff&ei=5088&partner=...

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home