Taking the House by Storm

The trials and tribulations of the average gal trying to navigate through life, love and the pursuit of domestic bliss.

Thursday, January 01, 2009

My New Best Friend

For Christmas, I asked for a label maker. I can't remember where I first read about it or what initially got me to thinking I needed one, but the bottom line was I believed it could help me get organized, so I put a star by it on my Christmas list.

Thanks to my mother-in-law, Charlie, I am the proud new owner of a Brother P-Touch 1280 model (ain't it pretty?) and I've been using the heck out of it so far in the kitchen.

One afternoon, I used it to help me organize my pantry, which was ridiculously out of control. We have one (loving called the monolith) with drawers in it and it was a huge mess. Foods were all mixed together and on top of one of another. Not a great way to go about making dinner or even compiling an accurate grocery list.

So while my husband was out doing Lord only knows what and my precious beano was snoozing away, I took everything out of the pantry, ditched the old, stale, yucky stuff and grouped what was left together so it would be easier to find what I'm looking for.

The label maker came in handy by labeling the shelves so my husband and I will both know where to look for something and where to put it back. And I used it to label clear containers I've purchased to keep cereals fresh and bags of rices, etc., in an easy to see and stock format.

In the fridge, I've been labeling leftovers like a madwoman. No more wondering when I made that grilled fish or what kind of soup that is. It's all right there on the label for me.

The only complaint I have about it (and it's probably something I can change; I just haven't gotten around to reading the instruction manual yet) is that there's a lot of wasted space before and after the label info.

Other than that, I'm glad I got one and can't wait to see what it can help me organize in the rest of the house.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home