Taking the House by Storm

The trials and tribulations of the average gal trying to navigate through life, love and the pursuit of domestic bliss.

Thursday, January 01, 2009

Resolutions

Technically, I should stop making them. If I've learned anything, it's that starting or stopping something on a big day (like New Year's or your birthday or anything like that) is almost a sure-fire way to guarantee failure. It's too easy to keep track of your progress (or not) and get discouraged.

For example, I quit smoking several times in the 20 years I was a smoker, often beginning on New Year's Eve or during Lent. As a resolution, it would begin weighing on my mind, thinking: I haven't had a cigarette in x days or x weeks or x months. And the pressure would get to be too much. I'd have to just have one. Then another. Then, next thing you know, I'd have a pack eyeballing me from the seat of my car.

I'm almost 5 years free and clear of cigarettes and I believe it's because I can't remember an exact day that I quit. I know it was near Lent, but not Ash Wednesday, so I wasn't temped come Easter Sunday to light up. Plus, I quit during a very stressful time in my life - planning my wedding - and I knew that if I could make it through something like that, I'd never again need that crutch. (Which is a good thing as I'm the type that likes to create stress.)

Anyway, all that said, I'm going to make some resolutions and hope that I'll stick to them even though I'll easily be able to measure my success or failure. Here they are, in no particular order:
• get my blog going again (so far, so good)
• take care of my body
• take care of my soul through church (missed my first opportunity on New Year's Day, but back in the saddle today) and prayer
• take care of my mind (by learning new things and reading more often)
• declutter (started cleaning out the basement today and already organized our pantry)
• be a positive force in my own life
• keep in better contact with friends and relatives (calls, letters, visits)

I guess that's enough self-improvement for one year. What are you guys shooting for?

2 Comments:

  • At 2:08 PM, Blogger Cara said…

    Good for you! I told you my resolution was to declutter every drawer, cabinet and closet this year. So far, I'm happy with what I've accomplished. It's amazing what junk you can find. We're also starting a new budget. It's going to be strict, but I'm determined to stick to it.

     
  • At 2:07 PM, Blogger divaqueen said…

    Congrats to you Meaux! I like you want to get some areas cleared (cleaning out my mom's old bedroom so we can move ours in there & create a TV room for us in our current bedroom) and the ever popular watching what I eat. So far the cleaning hasn't happened (I will probably have to take time off work for that) but I haven't been too bad about watching what I am eating. I LOVE reading your blog & I'm glad you are getting back to it!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home