Taking the House by Storm

The trials and tribulations of the average gal trying to navigate through life, love and the pursuit of domestic bliss.

Sunday, March 25, 2007

New Recipes


Hey, campers. I finally made a home-cooked meal this evening and I tried a few new things I’d like to share. The first thing being Lemon-Sesame Asparagus from my friends at All Recipes. I actually followed the suggestions of Spyce (in the reviews section) to cut back on a few calories. It was tasty and pretty easy. If you like asparagus, I’d give it a whirl. Just be careful and don’t overcook them like I did. Still good, but a little mushy.

Rick had been craving lemonade all day. The only mix I keep in the house is the light version, which he swears he can taste the difference. So being the super sweetie that I am, I whipped him up a batch from scratch using this Thirst Quenching Lemonade recipe from the same site. It was the only one that didn’t specifically call for fresh lemons, which I didn’t have.

I found it to be sweet, but all I had to do was add more water to mine. Rick liked it as it was.

On Friday, I made strawberry shortcake for my birthday buddy at work. I didn’t go so far as to make the shortcake from scratch, but I did make two different batches of strawberries.

One with Splenda only, the other with Splenda and balsamic vinegar. I’ve heard of adding vinegar before, but never actually tried it because I’ve always been a little scared. However, since I was making two batches, I figured “what the hay?” and it was pretty darned tasty. I would do it again.

If you want to try it, use a similar ratio of sugar and vinegar as this, depending on how many strawberries you have: 3 tablespoons of sugar or Splenda to 2 teaspoons of the vinegar. Let me know what you think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home