Taking the House by Storm

The trials and tribulations of the average gal trying to navigate through life, love and the pursuit of domestic bliss.

Friday, April 27, 2007

A Work In Progress

Four of my friends volunteered to come over last Saturday and help me transform my office into the baby’s nursery. Cheryl, God love her, showed up at 7 a.m. to go to a Mommy Exchange Sale out in the ‘burbs that was basically a bust.

I guess I had unrealistic expectations. I’d heard how great these types of sales were in general from my sister, Kathy (who lives in Charlotte) and this particular sale happens regularly and got rave reviews.

Basically, turns out as a new mom, I’m not very comfortable putting my baby in used clothes. I’m sure I’ll get over it, much like I’ve watched many of my friends go from germ-a-phobic first time moms who wouldn’t let you even look at their kids without washing your hands first to simply blowing on a pacifier after it’s fallen on the floor.

Not quite there yet, though.

Plus, I had my heart set on finding a rocker of some sort. I was completely floored by how much they were at Babies R Us. They were totally comfortable, but so pricey! And the ottomans cost extra.

Didn’t find any.

So by 8 a.m., I was ready to leave and I felt horrible for dragging Cheryl out of bed for nothing. But she has a great attitude and decided we would find ourselves an affordable rocker somewhere, and we did. Got one at Walmart for about $80 that included an ottoman. What a bargain! We haven’t put it together yet, but here’s hoping it comfortable.

After making a few more stops, we were back home by 10:15 and got to work. Kelleen showed up around 11, then Paulette and Sara arrived around noon, with some fantastic vittles from Findley Market in tow. Yummy, but I digress.

We all worked our tails off downsizing, reorganizing and relocating. I even managed to let go of enough stuff to fill about 4 large-sized trash bags. No small task for a pack rat like myself. But the room is still nowhere near ready.

I’m just completely amazed by how much crap I have and how 5 people working for several hours couldn’t do it all. It was a great start, though, and I have high hopes for this weekend. Our first baby gift arrived in the mail today, so we’d better get crack-a-lacking lest we have no place to put it all.

Thanks to my pals for all the awesome help – you rock! Now here’s hoping I can finish what we started.


  • At 9:18 AM, Blogger Cara said…

    Wow! I bet you feel better. Looks like they helped a lot.


Post a Comment

<< Home