Taking the House by Storm

The trials and tribulations of the average gal trying to navigate through life, love and the pursuit of domestic bliss.

Saturday, January 12, 2008

Thank God That's Over


I don't know about you guys, but, ultimately, I'm glad the holidays are over.

Don't get me wrong. I love Christmas and everything it represents. Jesus. Love. Happiness. Sharing. Cookies. Presents. Pine scent. Ice skating. Colored lights. Hearing from people for the first time all year. And I had high hopes for the 2007 holiday season after the bust 2006 was. But overall, they stunk.

They were stressful. They were disappointing. And they were way out of my control.

I thought for sure I'd have all the time I needed to do my shopping, bake my cookies and get out our Christmas cards. Afterall, I quit my job after my son was born a few months ago.

But here we are, January 12, and I still have 75% of my shopping left to do, I never baked one stinking cookie (that wasn't of the break-and-bake variety to satisfy my sweet tooth), and nary a card was mailed.

A few weeks before Christmas, I was listening to NPR while heading in to my former office to do a little freelance work. It was Science Friday and they had an expert talking about why the holidays are so stressful for some people. I almost ran off the road when I heard (something along the lines of) the following:

Holidays are stressful because people try to do too much without getting enough sleep or exercise, they stuff themselves with a lot of crap and they have unrealistic expectations.

Hello. That's me to a T. The sad part is, I still didn't get anything done (including keeping up with this blog). Better luck next year, I guess.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:23 PM, Blogger divaqueen said…

    I am also WAY glad that's all over. Since I sing, I get to add all the extra rehearsals & concerts to the mix!! 2008 has to be better...that's my mantra & I'm sticking to it!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home