Taking the House by Storm

The trials and tribulations of the average gal trying to navigate through life, love and the pursuit of domestic bliss.

Tuesday, January 06, 2009

We Don't Nee sd No Stinkin' Taco Seasoning Packets


I've always thought about 'making' my own taco seasoning. With all the extra salt and preservatives you find in prepackaged stuff, it couldn't hurt. Tonight I had my chance.

My dreams of making French Chicken in a Pot (courtesy of a Cook's Illustrated email) were shattered when I hadn't started it by 5:15 and it takes about 2.5 hours (at least, with me behind the wheel). 8 p.m. seemed a little late to eat with an 18-month-old to feed, so I opted for Plan B: Tacos.

Over the weekend, we picked up some taco shells at the grocery and I had some ground turkey gathering icicles in the freezer. What we didn't have was any seasoning. So I went to my trusted source, allrecipes.com, and picked the one with the most stars - Taco Seasoning I.

I thought it was easy to make and tasted great. Rick thought it was really hot and only ate 3 tacos; I think poor Ian burned his little mouth. [Wound up making him a delicious, nutritious, and high in salt (not to mention lips and assholes) hot dog. Only the best for my son.]

Four hours later, I'm noticing a little tingly sensation in the back of my throat. Honestly, I didn't find it that spicy while eating it (what I'd term 'medium' as far as heat goes) but maybe if I'd only sprinkled on half a batch, it would have been more palatable for the rest of the fam. But if you're among those that like it hot, I think you'll enjoy it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home