Taking the House by Storm

The trials and tribulations of the average gal trying to navigate through life, love and the pursuit of domestic bliss.

Monday, March 02, 2009

Feeling lucky?

I am, for a strange reason. Tonight, I wanted to make a pasta and the veggies I had on hand were carrots, squash, asparagus and broccoli. I did an ingredients search on allrecipes.com that netted absolutely zero. So I just typed in pasta - there's only 2,713 to choose from. After scanning one lone recipe that wouldn't work, I decided to re-search, this time for creamy pasta. Just 81 of those.

The first one, Creamy Pasta Primavera, had four stars, so I figured I'd give it a look. Even thought I didn't have most of the necessary ingredients, I thought I'd read a review or two. The first one, by Caliloo, said:

"As it is written, this is a bland mess. However, the thought behind it is good so I took it a few steps further. I added 2 cloves of minced garlic, 6 stalks of asparagus cut in 1 inch lengths, a small yellow squash sliced, some par boiled baby carrots and a cup of broccoli florets. Saute all the garlic and veggies together until they are heated through then continue as the recipe is written."

What are the chances? It seemed like kismet, so I whipped it up by sauteing a little shallot, garlic and onion along with par-microwaved carrots, asparagus, broccoli and squash. I only had about half a block of cream cheese, so I cut down on the milk and I used some leftover rotisserie chicken. A little salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, dried basil (might leave that one out next time), extra parm and voilá. We had ourselves a meal.

Next time, I might add a little white wine and if I happen to have shrimp on hand, I'll throw it in. Now if only my lottery numbers could be so lucky.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home