Taking the House by Storm

The trials and tribulations of the average gal trying to navigate through life, love and the pursuit of domestic bliss.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Cake on the Mind


So, for whatever reason, procrastinator that I usually am, tonight I'm looking around for SpongeBob SquarePants cake and party ideas for Ian's second birthday in June. I found some really neat ones and thought I'd share in case you, too, are in the market.

NickJr.com has a cute 2D cake and they give you step-by-step instructions on how to recreate it, which I thought was a nice touch. The entire site is actually kind of cool, with everything from party suggestions and recipes to parenting and travel tips.

Since I always enjoy a challenge, I'm thinking I'll want to go 3D when the time comes and found this great cake on Flickr by avid cake decorator Beth (check out all her cakes at her cakespace link, but be prepared: there's a female torso that took me by surprise).

If Ian were older, I'd seriously consider trying to emulate this 3D Pineapple House cake from easy-birthday-cakes.com, but he's too young to make the connection so I'll have go full-on Bob.

Doing all this cake searching got me nostalgic for cakewrecks.com. Sadly, there's not much I remember to do daily (brush my teeth, eat, go to the bathroom), so it's been a while since I've been there. Nothing has changed - still awesome. Makes me want to actively seek out horrible cakes I can share with her.

Anyway, while checking it out, I saw her Sunday Sweets: The Undead Wed post. Not sure why that would be the theme on National Lemon Chiffon Cake Day, but hey, who am I to question. Let me tell you, there are some cool cakes here. If I'd have had a Halloween wedding, I would have wanted the Corpse Bride cake. Fantastic. Check them out, then try to recreate one come October. I'm going to – if I remember.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home