Taking the House by Storm

The trials and tribulations of the average gal trying to navigate through life, love and the pursuit of domestic bliss.

Sunday, February 04, 2007

Super Food


Yesterday, on the eve of the “Big Game”, I was trolling through allrecipes.com – one of my favorite recipe hot spots – looking for some appetizers I could whip up and bring over to my in-laws. Originally, I had wanted to make some Buffalo Chicken Dip. I have never made it before, and a friend had sent me her recipe, but somehow I lost it. Imagine that.

Anywho, I started out by looking up that recipe, then just kept browsing to see if anything else struck my fancy. What I was struck by was how many freakin’ recipes – freakin’ tasty recipes – spring forth from a block of cream cheese.

While looking through the allrecipes.com archives, I started contemplating some of my own favorite appetizer recipes that had their roots in cream cheese. The afore to mentioned Buffalo Dip, Skyline Dip, Cheesecake Squares, Chocolate Chip Cheese Ball, Salami Roll Ups, Fruit Pizza, Veggie Pizza – the list is endless.

The more I thought about it, the more I realized cream cheese is kind of like the bacon of the sweet appetizer world – you could put it on a dog turd and it would taste good. Couple it with a can of crescent rolls, and there’s nothing you can’t create. Amazing.

Last night we were in the bookstore, killing some time before a movie and I happened to come across the Philadelphia Cream Cheese Cook Book. Was it kismet? I flipped through it with my mouth watering.

In the end, I didn’t buy it, figuring all the recipes could probably be found on their web site. Alas! It is not so. Though I’m sure with a little perseverance, one could find what one was looking for somewhere online.

But I haven’t totally ruled out picking up the book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home