Taking the House by Storm

The trials and tribulations of the average gal trying to navigate through life, love and the pursuit of domestic bliss.

Monday, March 26, 2007

A Dying Art


When Rick and I moved into our house two and a half years ago, I was naïve enough to think our neighbors would make a conscious effort to stop over and introduce themselves. And, I’m embarrassed to say, I actually expected at least one of them to bring over a cake or other baked good to welcome us to the neighborhood.

Let’s just say if I’d have held my breath for that one, you wouldn’t be reading this blog right now.

As a result of the less-than-Mayberry treatment we received, I swore to do better. I would be that good neighbor, not only introducing myself but treating our new neighbors to a delicious, made-from-scratch delight that would charm the pants off them and make them feel like part of the hood.

Alas, I have proven to be no better than my non-baked-good-bearing streetmates. But I still hold out hope that one day I will get around to it. I have about five houses to hit, but by God, I will make it there with one of my mom’s famous recipe crumb cakes in tow.

If you have a tried-and-true treat you like to welcome new neighbors with, please share it. I’m always open to new (and hopefully easy to prepare yet sure to dazzle) ideas.

3 Comments:

  • At 3:04 PM, Blogger divaqueen said…

    You are sure right about this being a dying art. I wish you well in your endeavor. I don't have a recipe in mind, but when I do I'll let you know!

     
  • At 8:09 PM, Blogger The Colgans said…

    I too felt this way when I moved into my new neighborhood. Luckily, my next door neighbor came through for me with a tasty cheeseball dessert. (I'll try to get that recipe for you, it was easy...) I have since discovered that rushing home from work or wherever - it is easiest to pick up a bouquet of fresh flowers for new neighbors. It is just as pleasing as cookies -- without the calories.

     
  • At 7:03 AM, Blogger Cara said…

    Unless you live next to Brie Vandekamp, you're more than likely not to get a welcoming treat from neighbors. We were welcomed to the neighborhood with a invitation to the block party... which is better than a homemade pie in my opinion.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home