Taking the House by Storm

The trials and tribulations of the average gal trying to navigate through life, love and the pursuit of domestic bliss.

Friday, March 07, 2008

Simply Awful


Ever buy something just because you have a coupon? I recently made that mistake in the international food aisle at my local Kroger. For some reason, 50ยข off any Simply Asia meal kit seemed like a good idea, even though the bag was steep at around $4.79. Just add meat, the bag said. 15 minutes, it added. So I decided to give it a try.

Let me just say this was the biggest grocery-related rip off I've ever fallen prey to. Yeah, it probably only took 15 minutes to put together โ€“ maybe even less. But really, the bulk of dish was made up of the chicken I added โ€“ which cost me in addition to what I paid for this bag of crap.

And I had to quickly boil up a bag of ramen noodles to supplement the small quantity of noodles provided โ€“ supposedly enough to feed 3-4 people. Maybe down in Whoville, but not here on earth.

While preparing the dish, the directions suggested I also add in my own green vegetables. That would have been nice to know up front. But one has to wonder: what exactly is the point of getting this kit if you have to add so many extras? Which is my point exactly: don't do it.

3 Comments:

  • At 3:50 PM, Blogger The Spunky Mommy said…

    OH! You saved me! I have that coupon in my purse and just couldn't find it in the store last time I was there. The photo looked nice - see the carrots and greens? You have to ADD those? I appreciate the warning!!

     
  • At 5:19 PM, Blogger meauxjeaux said…

    In their defense, the package does include the carrots - the little julienned variety - but no greens. I just checked out their website to look at a better picture of the product. You can buy it online, too - for $4.99. Outrageous!

     
  • At 8:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Notebook, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://notebooks-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home