Taking the House by Storm

The trials and tribulations of the average gal trying to navigate through life, love and the pursuit of domestic bliss.

Monday, January 21, 2008

No Eggs? No Problem.


In theory, I had a pretty good idea you could find a substitute for most ingredients. I've had to look up many of these myself as I generally have lots of things on hand I don't need while missing other crucial ingredients.

With that said, I was still extremely surprised to learn you could actually bake cookies without eggs. I found this out on Saturday night when our friends Jean and Andy came over bearing chocolate chip and peanut butter cookies.

Jean didn't have any eggs. She substituted 2 tbsp. flour, 1/2 tbsp. butter, 1/2 tsp. baking powder and 2 tsp. water. The cookies tasted great. They were flat, but delicious just the same. I had never heard of this. Jean had.

She'd also heard of substituting applesauce for an egg. I hadn't. One source I found suggested 1/3 cup of applesauce for each egg; others 1 or 2 tbsp.

Tonight, I was using ground flax seed as part of a coating for tuna (I bought it when I was pregnant and never used it 'til tonight; my son is almost 7 months old) and noticed on the package you can combine 1 tbsp. of it with 3 tbsp. of water to replace an egg (3 tbsp. of it replaces 1 tbsp. of oil - who knew?).

Apparently, you can also use banana, pumpkin, mashed potatoes, tofu and many other crazy items you vegans out there will have heard of. What a wacky world we live in.

So next time you're out of eggs, don't let it stop you from baking something. Jean didn't – and I'm glad.

2 Comments:

  • At 4:46 PM, Blogger Mr Fabulous said…

    Damn those cookies were tasty!

     
  • At 6:15 PM, Blogger divaqueen said…

    Thanks guys! Since I had already started the batter for the cookies, I couldn't very well stop because I didn't have eggs. I found my answer on ask.com. There were quite a few different versions of water, oil & baking powder to use as an egg substitute.
    I still have learned my lesson to make sure you have ALL ingredients before you start making something! Hope we can do it again sometime soon. Andy & I had a great time!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home