Taking the House by Storm

The trials and tribulations of the average gal trying to navigate through life, love and the pursuit of domestic bliss.

Monday, March 03, 2008

Disturbingly Delicious


My husband recently had a birthday (he forbids me to note which one, the geezer) and I decided I wanted to make him a lobster dinner. I had the lobsters flown in from Maine – sounds ritzy, doesn't it? You can do it, too. I used the Lobster Guy and there are others out there, like Lobstergram.

The night before his birthday, I did some research on the best way to cook lobsters. I've only made them once before, and I steamed those unlucky beetles of the sea in about an inch of water. That time, I forced myself to watch them being cooked alive in the pot. It seemed the only noble way to handle the situation. And I wanted to find out for myself if they really scream – they don't.

Anyway, since then, I'd heard the 'humane' way to kill a lobster is to split its head open. Sounds dreamy, doesn't it? After much thought and some graphic photos, I decided I didn't have the cojones. Plus, I justified not doing it by the fact that I read they taste better when they're cooked alive.

In the end, I steamed them in an inch of water again. I felt terrible taking those little guys out of the container they were shipped in and putting them in the hot pot. In fact, I almost cried. I'm kind of in a precarious emotional place right now. But, once they were done, I had no problem dipping their succulent little tail meat in hot melted butter, accompanied by steamed asparagus with lemon and Parmesan, tomato pie (more on this fabulous concoction later), baked potatoes and fresh bread.

Delicious – I'd make them again, hard as it is to kill a live creature. But next time, I think I'd save a few bucks and get them at Kroger like I did the first time – blasphemous, I know, but they seemed to taste just as good.

3 Comments:

  • At 9:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 11:11 AM, Blogger The Spunky Mommy said…

    We cook lobsters all the time (but we are in New England) and one night my neighbor, a newly-single mom, came running across the street with a lone lobster - it seems her pre-teen son wanted them for dinner and she thought "how hard can this be?" so she bought two. After cooking his she felt so bad she couldn't bear the thought of popping a second one into the pot so we ended up with a nice lobster for dinner (and gave her some of our to-be-served ribs so she wasn't hungry). Gotta love lobsters! :)

     
  • At 12:36 PM, Blogger Cara said…

    Wow! I'm impressed. I don't think I would have the guts. I do love me some lobster though.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home