Taking the House by Storm

The trials and tribulations of the average gal trying to navigate through life, love and the pursuit of domestic bliss.

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Mashed Faux-tatoes

Tonight's dinner was revolving around meatloaf again. I'd bought enough ingredients a week ago for a double batch, finally remembered to fire up the second batch on Saturday and froze most of it, but kept two mini loaves out. Ate the first one Sunday and figured I'd make the second tonight.

Long story long, my philosophy has always been: what's a meatloaf without mashed potatoes? Sadly, we were about to find out. Used the last of my taters on Sunday and forgot that I meant to hit the weekly farm sale up at the church Monday afternoon.

What I did remember is that I'd heard somewhere you could mash cauliflower and it taste almost like the real thing. As luck would have it, we had a head in the crisper, so I figured I'd give it a try. I'd always wanted to. After reading a bunch of different recipes, I decided to just wing it using some of the ingredients I'd read and see what happened.

I started out by steaming the cauliflower until tender. After draining, I returned the florets to the hot pot, added a few slices of butter and creamed with a hand mixer. Right away, I knew this little experiment was not going to turn out anything like real mashed potatoes, but I was committed, so carried on. I added a little milk, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, white pepper, about an ounce of cream cheese and shredded parm.

The end product was a'right. After thinking about it, I decided I didn't like the taste of the parm. Rick said he thought that was the only thing really giving it flavor. He also said it was very different, but not bad, just different. Ian ate it, so I guess that says something positive.

I suppose if I ever make it again, I may try the Ruby Tuesday recipe that's floating around the internet. Not sure if it's the real deal, nor have I ever had theirs, that I know of, but it seems to get high praise. And I'd try to mashing it all up in the food processor as some recipes suggested to see if I could get a smoother consistency. Anyone else out there ever tried making mashed cauliflower? If so, what did you think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home